Women’s Philharmonic Advocacy is a non-profit organization founded in 2008 in order to:
- Recognize the achievement of The Women’s Philharmonic (1980-2004) over their 24 years of activity.
- Build on this work by advocating for the performance of women composers by orchestras and ensembles.
- Address the place of women composers (historic and contemporary) in today’s repertoire of orchestras and ensembles in the US and internationally.
- Present information that highlights the shortage of programming of works by women; the heritage of TWP emphasizes that this should and can be corrected.
Board of Directors:
Robyn Bramhall Secretary of WPA, Past President, The Women’s Philharmonic, Senior Professional in Human Resources
Liane Curtis – President of WPA, Author and music critic, President, The Rebecca Clarke Society, Inc. Ph.D. in Musicology
Chen Yi Composer, Professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music and Dance.
Dr. Samantha Ege is a musicologist-pianist and is the Lord Crewe Junior Research Fellow in Music at Lincoln College, University of Oxford.
Robert Kendrick Professor of Music at the University of Chicago. He is the author of Celestial Sirens: Nuns and Their Music in Early Modern Milan, and he edited music by Chiara Maria Cozzolani.
Tammy L. Kernodle is Professor of Musicology at Miami University (Oxford OH). She is President of the Society for American Music, the author of Soul on Soul: The Life and Music of Mary Lou Williams, and served as editor for the Encyclopedia of African American Music
Ann Krinitsky She directs the Marin Symphony Youth Performance programs and the Virtuoso Program at San Domenico School. A frequent guest conductor with the Honolulu Symphony, she was also a guest conductor for The Women’s Philharmonic.
Kathleen McGuire Conductor Laureate, The Community Women’s Orchestra and San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus. Guest conductor, The Women’s Philharmonic. Faculty of Education and Arts, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne. Music Director, The Tudor Choristers.
Chris A. Trotman, Treasurer of WPA, M.M. in Music Composition and M.L.I.S. Director of Music Publications and Editor-in-Chief of Amy Beach Project.
Director of Research and Blogger-in-Chief:
Sarah E. Baer – M.A. in Musicology and Women’s and Gender Studies
- Tania Léon — award winning composer and conductor, recognized for her accomplishments as an educator and advisor to arts organizations.
- Kile Smith — Composer, and Past Curator of the Fleisher Collection of Orchestral Music in the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Mary Buckley — Retired Social Worker, music-lover and researcher on Women’s History
Past Board Members:
- Judith Rosen
- Music activist, Author of Grazyna Bacewicz: Her Life and Works. Past Board Member of The Women’s Philharmonic
- Beverly McChesney Bassoonist, performed with The Women’s Philharmonic
- Joan Capra Violinist, musician with The Women’s Philharmonic. Researcher of historic women composers, provided material for TWP’s Baroquen Treasures recording